Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Our transplant journey begins ...

Well, not the news I had expected - but then again, yes it is. After 30 years of living with CF, the time has come - double lung transplant. On Saturday, December 8, 2007 Darren and I are headed off to Toronto, ON to await my "gift". We're hoping that this is not going to be a long stay away from home - but of course, this isn't something that you can control - as much as we would like to.

I'll have to be medically air lifted to Toronto. Darren isn't able to come on-board with me, so that's going to be interesting! Upon arriving in Toronto, I'll be admitted to St. Michael's Hospital under the care of Dr. Tullis (CF Program Director) and her team. St. Mike's houses the largest adult CF Clinic in North America - so I'm certain Ill in the best hands! Depending on how my lungs progress, I may have to be hospitalized until the transplant - that's something that Dr. Tullis will have to determine.  Once I do receive 'the call', I'll be transferred to Toronto General Hospital and admitted into the Multi Organ Transplant Program. This is where the surgery will take place - as will recovery and rehab.

It's all going to be quite an experience to say the least. In one sense I am so grateful that I have this opportunity and that I am 'well enough' to have the surgery done. On the other hand, this IS major surgery and not something to take lightly.

I'm excited ... I'm scared ... I'm relieved ... it's time to do this!

No comments: