Monday, September 21, 2009

Close Encounter of the MOOSEY-kind

Typical September morning ... or so I thought!

Darren had been traveling back and forth to St. John's for work for over a year now ... but this morning would prove to be something totally different!



I hadn't expected the day to be any different until I got a call from Darren on his cell about 35 minutes after he had left the house ... all he said was "I hit a moose".

He wasn't making much sense at this point, which worried me TOTALLY ... I could hear him hustling about in the car and there was some background noise, but I couldn't hear if he was actually OK! He told me that someone had called the ambulance, and until I made him have the person call out to me on the phone, I really didn't know if help had been called!

I waited over an hour ... for a 20-23 minute run to the hospital. I started to get really scared that something horrible had gone wrong. I was constantly asking the nurses at the ER to check to see where the ambulance was ... no luck! FINALLY someone told me they had tracked down the ambulance and that they had been dispatched to a incorrect location! VERY GOOD!

They finally arrived and I was faced with a little bit of a shock ...



Darren had quite a few bumps and bruises; not including the cuts, scrapes and embedded glass! Luckily he wasn't in too much pain and after getting cleaned up ... he wasn't too shabby for what had happened.

I didn't get to have a close look at the car until it was towed back to Carbonear ... another lovely shock!

Our little Cavalier Z24 was demolished! The docs told us that if Darren had been driving with his seat in the full upright position, things would not have turned out like they had ... luckily, Darren always drove with his seat reclined a little ... something that saved his life!

The moose had landed on the driver's side roof area and needless to say, he didn't make it ... the rest of the car was pretty much in perfect condition!



As you can see from the bottom pic ... Darren didn't even have enough room to move his head from side to side while he was in the car! Thankfully someone was watching over him that morning!



No comments: