Sunday, January 17, 2010

ADULT CYSTIC FIBROSIS COMMITTEE

After finishing a conference call with the Adult CF Committee (ACFC), I realized that I had never mentioned throughout my blog that I am involved with this committee and have been since 2005!

I became involved with the ACFC as the Atlantic Regional Vice-Representative in February 2005. It was a new and exciting adventure for me - sitting on a national committee, advocating for individuals with CF. After all, what could a young girl from rural Newfoundland have to say?!?! I quickly learned what an exciting experience the ACFC was going to be. Unfortunately, from 2005-2008 I could only participate with the committee members via conference calling ... I didn't have the opportunity to meet anyone in person or attend any committee meetings outside NL. To be honest, I did feel pretty helpless and useless ... but I continued on.

Following my transplant in 2008 I vowed that I would become more active and would attend what meetings I could (without interfering with work) - and I did! It was an amazing opportunity to FINALLY meet all the members whom I had listened to and spoke with many times ... but never had met face-to-face. To backtrack a little, I was also successful in serving as the Atlantic Region Representative from 2007-present!

Nevertheless, in September 2008 I was exposed to B. Cepacia a dangerous "bug" affecting individuals with CF. Being a newly transplanted patient, I had to be carefully examined (and still do for up to 2 years) to test for the presence of this "bug". But what did this mean for the ACFC - well, it meant that I couldn't attend any meetings until I got the "all clear". So here I am, right back where I began ... unable to attend any meetings, functions, events, etc.

But the good news ... I've been "clean" up until now and I'm anticipating that following my 2 year assessment and bronchoscopy, I will be able to get right back into what I love to do!


To learn more about the ACFC, just click the title of this post!!! Or visit, www.cysticfibrosis.ca to learn all about the Canadian Cystic Fibrosis Foundation!

No comments: