Monday, September 13, 2010

CHECK AND CHECK!

Although I wasn't 'supposed' to have to travel to Toronto for more assessments, the team decided that because I was exposed to the b. cepacia in September 2008, a follow up assessment was needed to check on the 2 year exposure mark.

After being exposed to b. cepacia, there is a 2 year period that one can test positive - it can happen at any time in those 2 years - even at the 2 year mark!  YES, scary stuff.  Although testing positive for b. cepacia is not an automatic death sentence - it's not a nice thing to develop.  With CF patients [pre and post transplant], the outcomes are not as good.  It often leads to rapid decline in health and lung function pre-transplant, and can ultimately do the same post.

Thankfully, at this point - I don't have that to worry about!! YIPPEE!!

Also, during my assessment, I did have the entire routine tests - with all of them coming back great!!  The chronic rejection scare in February has seemed to pass for the time being.  My lung function [FEV1] is again at my baseline of 2.9!  For some strange reason, my FEV1 often fluctuates from test to test.  It's always done this pre-transplant, but it seems to be occurring again now.  I'm starting to think I have somewhat of the 'white coat syndrome' when it comes to PFTs [HAHA].  Nevertheless, the fluctuation doesn't matter much - especially when it returns to my baseline :)!

So, here's hoping that things will continue to progress and improve - or at the very least, stay the same!  I hope that my donor family realizes just how important their kindness has been, and what a tremendous new life they have given me :)!  xoxo

No comments: