Sunday, August 01, 2010

First and probably last holiday ....

I finally decided to take a few days off work and try to enjoy myself. Every year since I've graduated [2003] I have only taken time off for doctor's appointments, sickness, bereavement, to help friends, attend weddings, cancer treatments, and of course my transplant. I have NEVER taken a day for myself!

With my new job ... and permanent status, I decided to take a week. Yes, I know you're asking, "why only a week", but I did have a reason. Because I'm never really sure when Toronto will come a-calling ... I always want to have a few days banked for such cases.

Now after my weekend off, I was saying the same thing to myself ... "why didn't I take 2 weeks" ... and of course, the thought hadn't crossed my mind when I got 'a call' ... Toronto wants me back the first week of September!! As this is the 2 year mark from when I was exposed to b. cepacia, protocol is that I be followed for 2 years. If negative at that time, I should be in the clear for ever developing the bug. So far I'm testing negative ... only September will tell ...

Of course, here I am at the start of my official holiday and now this news ... why didn't I just want until September and take 2 weeks then??!! Now I'm feeling guilty that I have to leave work AGAIN .. plus the numerous tests and doctor's appointments that I'll have to have prior to the trip ... aaaagggghhhh!

SO, MY HOLIDAY'S ARE SHOT ...

Now what ... I'm heading back to work, no more relaxed then before ... and probably more stressed about the upcoming assessment in Toronto! Oh the joys of this wonderful, unpredictable, boring, yet exciting life ... YAY ME!

I think my next holiday will be a 2 week trip somewhere HOT ... and when will that happen ... your guess is as good as mine !!!

No comments: